Today owning a multi retail location or running an e-commerce storefront has its own unique challenges when it comes to managing credit card information across many platforms, handling omnichannel inventory, keep your books clean for tax purposes, and much more. To ease this pain POS systems and software came into the picture.
These tools are designed to help you collect your hard money in the right way and handle complex issues like inventory systems, complex recurring transactions, fraud prevention, and other sales-related issues.
That is why it is crucial you choose the right POS system and software that fulfills your business requirements and allows you to focus on generating demand.
To make your decision easier I have ranked and reviewed the best point of sale (POS) systems and software based on pricing, integrations, ease of use, features, support, and more.
So let’s get started.
What Are the Best POS Systems and Software?
Here is my list of the best POS systems and software to use this year.
Square POS is headed by Jack Dorsey founder and CEO of Twitter which simplifies sales and transaction-related operations for your business. They provide you a free plan to start and you can later upgrade to paid one that offers a 30-days trial period to test the features.
Square offers features like fast checkout, inventory management, creating customer profiles automatically, and much more.
It is basically designed for businesses who have no experience in POS systems or having a small budget for the software in the first place. If you are falling in this category then you should definitely give Square a try.
- Real-time Monitoring – This allows you to work on unlimited SKU and bulk deals by tracking their status in real-time.
- Painless Process – The easy-to-use interface simplifies many product features related to the POS system. Additionally, it allows you to link the customer with specific products in the catalog to derive the purchasing history on the dashboard.
- Customer Satisfaction – Offers custom discount offers to customers in order to maintain your Square loyalty points.
- Virtual Terminal – Square offers a free online store powered by a virtual terminal that enables you to make cardless transactions.
- Purchase Management on Free Plan – This allows you to manage your purchase order even in your free online store so that you can focus on selling your products immediately.
- Provide in-depth analytics and reports
- PCI Compliant
- The initial setup process is pretty simplified for beginners.
- Complete cloud-based product
- Offers you the hardware for secure payment
- Provides numerous third-party apps in their app store
- Compatible with both Android and iOS operating devices.
- Provides in-built inventory control, customer relationship management, and team management
- Developed for most small and mid-size businesses
- Hold payments for some transactions
- Their customer service is still not up to the mark
Square POS is completely free and involves no setup fee or monthly charges.
Upserve is an all-in-one POS system designed for hotels and restaurants to help them combine the inventory process, payment process, and other reservation systems in the business. Plus, you can customize the management solution according to your brand and customer requirements.
Moreover, Upserve offers a simple and intuitive user interface to deal with menu inventory and other sales-related activities. They provide an end-to-end solution where you have access right from the front store to the kitchen.
The software is focused on catering to small and medium-sized businesses looking for an all-in-one POS solution for controlling their entire operations.
- Offline Access – This allows you to make transactions and print receipts offline even if you have opted for an online solution.
- Split Payments – This feature allows you to split your orders into cash payments and card payments.
- Reports and Analytics – Provides you detailed insights on your business performance. Moreover, it offers key trends of a particular segment that can be used to grow the business.
- Simplified Control – The navigation of the dashboard is pretty easy to understand and you can control entire operations without any trouble.
- Provides 24/7 customer support in the US
- Offers an easy-to-use interface with the customization you require on the dashboard
- Allows you to work on offline mode and receive payment from customers
- Centralized dashboard to manage all operations without any hassle
- Integrates solutions like inventory, reservation systems, payment processes, POS, and more
- Provides free demo to test the product
- Offers great customer experience and provide detailed insights on popular products to enhance business performance
- It is an all-in-one solution to your inventory control and reservation system requirements.
- It is not possible to integrate third-party applications
- A little bit challenging for a complete beginner
Upserve offers three paid plans
- Starter Plan – $59
- Most Popular Plan – $199
- Enterprise Plan – $359
3. Shopify Point of Sale
Shopify POS is one of the most popular POS systems that assists you in connecting your retail and online operations. Moreover, you can use it to get in-depth analytics reports and manage multiple inventories making it easy to sell products across any platform.
Additionally, it allows you to accept NFC and EMV payments without any hassle. It provides store credit or refunds to customers from any payment platform preferred by the customer.
If you are looking for amazing customer support for an affordable product, they got you covered.
- Customer Support – Shopify provides 24/7 support via email or phone or live chat at no additional cost
- Credit and Refunds – This feature allows you to not only sell products on multiple platforms but also let your customer choose from multiple payment options to store credit or offer them a refund if required.
- Multiple Payment Options – By default, the platform provides you with Shopify payments to process services. However, you can choose another payment processor if you require.
- Versatile Payment Features – The platform provides you to accept payments, add barcodes, grant refunds, add customizable gift cards to purchases, and much more.
- Sync Feature – This allows you to combine the transactions of offline mode to online if you require.
- Offers quick checkout process for customers
- Affordable and integrates with many amazing third parties apps
- Specifically designed for small and medium businesses
- Takes away the headache of managing the server-side maintenance of the platform
- Syncs well with Shopify Ecommerce as well
- Provides ample options for personalization to build lasting loyalty customers for brand
- Offline working of the platform is not satisfactory
- Features are not sufficient for large businesses
Shopify offers three paid pricing plans.
- Basic plan – $29 per month
- Shopify Plan – $79 per month
- Advanced Shopify Plan – $299 per month
Now let’s cover the basics.
What is a POS System?
A point of sale system, POS is a place where customers are able to make payments for the product or service they purchase from your store. In simple words, any transaction made by a customer every time on any order at a given time is a point of sale (POS) transaction.
Today, a POS system provides more than just a transaction and manages sales, customer data, and inventory in a single place. They provide you business insights about the payment modes preferred by the customer and help you choose the right discount strategies based on its analysis.
It also helps you navigate the actual sale pattern in a particular year for any product or service you offer to help you minimize inventory payment and stockpile issues. Now to take advantage of this system you need to have a basic understanding of how the POS system will actually work in your store.
Let’s cover this in detail.
How Do Point of Sale (POS) Systems Work?
Make sure that the POS (point of sale) is the place where the customer will make the final transaction in your store. This POS system helps you streamline and automate the following processes in your business:
- Shipping management
- Inventory Management
- Mobile payment options
- Credit Card proccessing
- Provides POS hardware
- Makes back-office business operations seamless
This system is designed to reduce your power and costs involved in manual operations. The system performs these tasks repeatedly every day thus increasing your productivity.
If you visit Walmart you will observe that their POS system is a digital network that connects several checkout terminals. These terminals are integrated with hardware like card payment terminals, barcode scanners, and more. This allows Walmart to monitor every transaction efficiently and on a huge scale.
Today, if you are Hotel, eCommerce, or a restaurant looking to scale your operations via franchises then investing in a POS system saves your lot of headache. Furthermore, Not only your franchises will be able to monitor the transactions they make but you can also monitor the transaction made by every franchise on your dashboard.
This gives you leverage to make accurate business decisions when it comes to which product shelf cycle should be increased, which one should be discarded, and which ones should be introduced for your customers. Additionally, it will help you map the productivity of others stores and enhance the operations of the one which is not performing by taking the necessary steps.
POS system Hardware introduction
In the early 1980s, the POS System only embodied the quintessential ‘cash register.’ Nowadays it has gone beyond it and more intelligent devices powered by artificial intelligence are coming into the market to boost and retain foot traffic by personalizing the customer experience.
Currently, the POS hardware part also has specific components, each devoted towards a particular function, including:
- Barcode scanner
- Receipt printer
- Card Machine
- Modems and routers for scaling
- Cash drawer for tracking sales
- Interfaces like tablet and computer to input details
Thus merging both the hardware and software into the POS solution.
What Should You Look for in Good POS Software?
Here are a few crucial points you should look for before buying the right POS software for your business.
1. Ease of Use
Make sure that the interface is user-friendly and the platform is easy to navigate for your team. The system should help you in automating the most cumbersome tasks with ease taking away significant responsibilities from you.
However, if the interface is not that easy then you have to rely on customer support every time you get stuck in something. That’s why it’s essential to select an easy to use POS system.
2. Customer Support
No matter how many times you look but the knowledge is still not enough to go through every detail within the POS system. That’s why having proper customer support is a must. Tomorrow you might have to hire a new person for your business and this will eliminate the training cost involved in understanding the software.
Plus, you might require help while integrating third-party apps. Moreover, ensure there is 24/7 customer support via live chat solutions, phone, or email.
3. Budget Friendly
There is a budget for the technical department in a company no matter you are a small company or a large enterprise. As you will be using the system for a long time it is better to get the yearly subscription offered by the product for more discounts.
Additionally, ensure that there are no hidden costs involved after the purchase of the product. If you suspect the product with these red flags it is better to move to another option.
4. Product Features
It is better that you clearly define the requirements you will be needing in your product. This will save your cost by not purchasing a pricey product offering too many features that are not relevant to you.
Make sure you create a priority list of functionalities you want to automate in your business. Then go for the hardware or software that are fulfilling most of those requirements.
5. Analytical Reporting
The idea of investing in POS systems is to not only make the sales process easy but to also understand the flow of transactions that are happening. The software must help you in managing your employee and data management.
It should provide you reports of all the features it tracks like transaction count, expenses, average sales value, highest selling product, etc.
Best POS system and software – Final Summary
This wraps up my list of the best POS systems and software. I will keep updating the list with more relevant POS systems available in the market.
Choosing the right POS software can greatly assist you in operations like delivery, reporting, inventory management, and more. For example, the POS software will automate administrative tasks and functions for you so that your employee focuses more on customer engagement.
Even you have very tasks to automate for your business you can still go for an affordable POS system with the necessary functions.
And Finally, make sure you check all the options carefully before making the final purchase decision for your business.