Today document management software has become an essential part of the business to manage files and documents. The need for these tools is increasing, with the global document management software market likely to reach $11.06 billion by 2028.
Whether you are running a small business, a large business, or working from home, chances are you’re creating a lot of version control documents. Once you create these documents you need to keep them organized and safe to ensure your clients and team can access them easily.
The best file management software helps you keep your files secure and organized to provide seamless collaboration among all stakeholders. Moreover, document version control tools also make it simpler for you to download, upload, or access from any device, platform, or web browser.
So to help you make the right decision, I have reviewed and ranked the best online document management system. These reviews are based on their ease of use, document lifecycle, key features, file formats, workflow automation, integrations, pricing plans, and more.
So let’s get started.
What Is The Best Document Management Software Solutions?
Here are my top picks for the electronic document management system software to use this year.
Dropbox is one of the most famous all-in-one document management systems available. It allows digital asset management for both multimedia and traditional documents. Moreover, It also allows the editing of documents, and all changes are visible to real-time users.
It also provides an OCR tool for optical character recognition (OCR) to turn images into text. Plus, with tons of third-party app integrations, you can’t go wrong with Dropbox.
Key Features of Dropbox:
- Dropbox Showcase – This allows you to showcase your professional work and track users engaging with your files.
- Live Support – Its live support offers robust service through chat, phone calls, and email
- Third-party App Integration – Dropbox offers robust integration with over 3,00,000 connected applications.
- Account Transfer Tool – This allows you to transfer a file securely to multiple users in the event of a change or shuffle in responsibilities.
Pros of Dropbox:
- Allows you to monitor your team’s activity through the admin dashboard
- Provides the ability to disable downloads in links and temporary access through expirable links
- Offers ‘remote wipe’ feature to instantly clear your files from hacked accounts and stolen devices to keep the data safe.
- Syncs across platforms and devices
- Helps you recover deleted files by restoring the previous version of the file
- Provides ‘team folder manager’ to help you gain visibility and control over team folders
- Offers a host of flexible storage plans
Cons of Dropbox:
- Uploads can be slow
- The Mobile version is not as user-friendly as the desktop version
Its Standard and Advanced plans cost $12.50 and $20 per month, respectively. You will get a quote for its Enterprise plan.
2. Zoho Docs
Zoho Docs is another popular enterprise content management platform on this list. It enables you to manage and store all your files on the cloud securely. Plus, Its document tracking software also offers powerful collaboration tools, including two-ways sync and group sharing.
This helps you to work with remote employees and clients efficiently. If you are looking for the best enterprise document management system then Zoho Doc is definitely one of the options to go.
Key Features of Zoho Docs:
- Instant Email – Instantly send documents from your scanner or email to the cloud account without signing in.
- Two-way Sync – You can work either offline or online on your desktop – the files get automatically updated once you are back online.
- Document Storage – It enables users to easily store large files, including folders, videos, and even complete databases.
- Clean Organization – Easily create subfolders and folders for clean categorization of files based on function, file types, and projects.
Pros of Zoho Docs:
- Creates auto data backup of files to prevent data loss
- Enables you to create a group to share files with multiple users at a time
- Allows you to transfer a huge amount of folders without messing up the sequence
- Allows you to upload files in bulk
- Sets tasks and reminders to delegate and manage work among teams
- Saves your files on different servers at multiple locations
- Offers the audit trail feature to track edits done by other users
- Allows you to personalize it as per your branding requirements
- Provides in-app chat to collaborate with different team members
- Provides stringent security by encrypting files through an RSA-based 2048-bit key built via Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS)
- Offers a free version for up to 5 users
Cons of Zoho Docs:
- the user interface looks dated and too basic
- The loading time of the application is slow
Its paid plans start from $5 per month onwards. You also get a 15-day free trial.
3. Digital Drawer
Digital Drawer is a secure document management system mostly used by medium-sized businesses in manufacturing, education, and retail, among others. It’s capable of storing documents and scanning documents instantly and provides on-premise document storage for an added security layer.
Key Features of Digital Drawer:
- Easy Import – Leverage copy and paste, scan or import, and drag and drop features to easily import files directly into the drive.
- Document Organization – Organize all documents in a centralized location with a familiar Windows-based folder/file structure. Plus, It also lets you store files in multiple file cabinets for easy segregation.
- Flexible – You can easily merge documents or add pages to the already existing documents. Moreover, You can also re-label documents with different indexes.
- Security – It offers powerful security of all the documents through AES-128 bit Encryption. You can use an audit trail to keep track of changes made to any document.
Pros of Digital Drawer:
- Leverage version control to gain access to older versions of the same file
- Allows you to print documents directly from the drive
- Import and capture multiple documents at the same time
- Instantly customize file cabinets for specific business requirements
- Collaborate with various stakeholders by reviewing the changes made to the file in real-time
- Automatically syncs changes made to the files from any device
- Offers a free trial
Cons of Digital Drawer:
- Not suitable for large organizations
- Offers limited features
You can either buy a single-user license of the software at a one-time cost of $1,200 or can go with its subscription plan of $500/year.
Now let’s cover some basics.
What Is Document Management Software?
After the pandemic businesses are moving online at a rapid pace. With these changing scenarios, top-rated document management software is gaining a lot of attention.
Quite simply, they are computer software used to index, manage, organize, store, and track documents in digital format. Moreover, they help you convert documents into digital formats with the help of scanners pretty easily.
Most people have found that a lot of productivity is lost just due to overcoming documentation challenges. Once converted into electronic formats, it gets easier to navigate through documents. Ultimately, document handling software reduces your search time as well as provides you with relevant notifications of new updates.
This spares you time to focus on mining information to accelerate business decisions.
What Should You Look For in a Best Cloud Document Management System?
While your preferences and choices will vary according to your business document requirements. Here are some basics things to look out for :
1. Bulk Uploading
It’s difficult as well as time-consuming to upload them one by one. Therefore, you should choose a document management tool that allows bulk uploading of documents.
2. Document Security
Most businesses use document management tools to store and handle classified and sensitive documents. Any compromise on these data might be a death blow to the organization.
That’s why it’s necessary to choose a document management tool like Digital Drawer to ensure powerful data security.
It should allow archiving your documents in a central repository. It must ensure immediate retrieval and ready access to information. – for example, Zoho Docs.
4. High-Resolution Previews
It should not be the case that you need to download every time to view the document. The software should allow high-resolution previews whenever you want.
Also, it should provide other essential attributes like real-time chats, a wide range of templates, records management features, the level of automation allowed, and more.
5. Extensive Integration
Document management software companies should provide extensive and easy integration with third-party applications. For Example, Salesforce, Outlook, Google Drive, and more.
Best Document Management System – Final Summary
These were some of the best document management software available. With the digital transformation, paper document days are soon to be numbered. However, all these tools have different sets of capabilities and USPs.
Therefore it’s not right to declare a clear winner as it’s based completely on your budget and requirements. For instance, if you’re looking for an affordable or free yet reliable solution, then EverNote Business is a great option.
Review different tools and their features carefully before making your final decision.
Are there any workflow document management tools that you like to use? Let me know in the comment section below.