Best Backup Software is in demand thanks to the rising data security concerns for both customers and business owners. There are over 164.68 million sensitive data records got exposed in the US in 2019 alone.
Businesses get exposed to all kinds of different global data threats that could jeopardize their business within seconds. Whether you want to migrate your database, work on a new implementation, or recover your data, you need good backup software.
It will ensure that you do not lose your data due to ransomware, malware, or system crash. Additionally, it allows you to keep a timely backup of your important business data.
So to make your decision a little easier I have reviewed and ranked the best backup software based on ease of use, support, pricing, security, key features, and more.
So let’s get started.
What is the Best Backup Software?
Here is my list of the best backup software to use this year.
Backblaze is one of the best backup software that assists you in enterprise backup of essential data on the cloud cost-effectively and seamlessly. Additionally, it provides unlimited backup of files with unlimited size at an incredible speed.
Backblaze is best suited for small businesses and creates a backup of business-critical files to provide an efficient cloud solution.
Key Features of BackBlaze:
- Auto Encryption – Backblaze comes with inbuilt encryption. It encrypts all the files scheduled for backup automatically and transfers them through an FTP connection or a secure SSL (HTTPS) to the Backblaze datacenter.
- Automatic Threading and Throttle – Capable of adjusting the speed of the backup automatically according to different internet speeds.
- Mobile Applications – It allows you to access all the apps easily on your Android and iOS devices. You can easily open a word doc, share a system image on Facebook, or browse your media files through mobile devices.
- Version Control History – Backblaze comes equipped with a default feature to automatically delete a file or save an old for up to 1-year. Additionally, you can save those files forever at a little extra price.
Pros of BackBlaze:
- Offers a simplified data restore policy. This means that you do not have to subscribe to BackBlaze for your data.
- Provides easy download and browse of all the files on your mobile devices.
- Offers a “manual threading” feature that lets you decide the number of simultaneous threads deployed for your backup depending upon your internet speed.
- You can turn off the ‘Automatic Throttle’ to activate the manual throttle feature to control the internet bandwidth you want to use for disk cloning, disk imaging, and backup.
Cons of BackBlaze:
- Subscription is applicable to only a single computer per account.
- Mobile applications do not allow you to sync files with your Backblaze account
Its monthly subscription costs $6. On the other hand, you can buy the yearly subscription at $60.
2. AOMEI Backupper
AOMEI offers services in over 180 countries and has a powerful base of over 20 million users. Additionally, the software offers two versions, including ‘Home’ and ‘Business’ to meet specific requirements.
AOMEI is suitable for both small businesses and personal usage.
Key Features of AOMEI Backupper:
- Disk Space Manager – Automatically deletes the old backup to free up space for upcoming backup. It also leverages incremental or differential backup to store more amount of relevant data and optimize disk space utilization.
- Schedule Backup – Enables you to schedule automatic monthly, weekly, or daily backups.
- Numerous Backup Types – It offers four types of backups, including file, partition, disk, and system backup.
- Backup to Internal/External Storage Device – It allows you to create a backup on an external or internal storage device easily like SSD drives.
Pros of AOMEI Backupper:
- Provides efficient technical support
- It also offers a 90-day money-back guarantee
- Provides a standard free edition of the software
- Premium Edition comes with lifetime upgrades
- Deploys backup image to a large number of computers easily
- It comes loaded with a wide range of open-source tools, including OneKey Recovery, PXE Boot, Image Deploy, among others.
- Provides a very intuitive user interface for beginners.
- Efficiently cuts down your admin costs
- You can restore and backup an infinite number of servers and computers among multiple organizations
- Comes equipped with PXE Network Boot Tool and NAS knowledge base
- Quickly copies installation directory to create a portable version
Cons of AOMEI Backupper:
- The user interface has a few functional bugs
- Available only for Windows users
Its lifetime license fees cost around $60.
NovaStor is capable of protecting systems, apps, folders, and files from data loss. Additionally, it provides direct access to the expert team of backup professionals to help you with their quality class customer support round the clock.
NovaStor is most suitable for IT admins searching for a cost-efficient data backup solution for their data backup challenges.
Key Features of NovaStor:
- Automated Backup Process – It offers comprehensive heterogeneous backup and restores functions that include efficient central media management, reporting, and monitoring. Additionally, the entire process is automated and provides greater fault tolerance.
- Extensive Customer Support – NovaStor provides efficient support through remote access, phone, and email.
- Flexibility – It supports various virtualization solutions and operating systems. Additionally, it is compatible with multiple third-party business applications, including Hyper-V, VMWare, Linux, Windows 10 amongst others.
- Infinite Scalability – NovaStor provides infinite scalability to handle abruptly increasing volumes of data. Plus, its distributed system architecture ensures the least network load through its optimum throughput strategy.
Pros of NovaStor:
- Easy to manage local and offsite cloud backup
- Allows you to monitor backup at distributed workplaces centrally
- Easily monitor backup jobs from clients, branches, offices remotely through a single point of access
- Managed Service Providers (MSPs) can easily host client data in their datacenter
- Provides a multi-tenancy platform that offers end-to-end encryption for greater data security and faster data transfer speeds
- Offers Multistreaming that reduces restore and backup significantly and accelerates the process of data backup
Cons of NovaStor:
- Expensive compared to other options available in the market
- Does not offer image backup solution
- Multiple backup configuring options may confuse end users a bit
NovaStor plans start from $2,500 per year and range up to $9,500 per year. For a custom plan, you can request quote-based pricing.
So now let’s cover the basics.
What is Backup Software?
Backup software basically assists you in creating an analogous file for each corresponding data set so that data never gets compromised. In simple words, it helps you keep exact copies of essential digital documents while you take backup. The digital documents can include but aren’t limited to vital applications, audiovisual data, folders, files, and computer servers.
Moreover, like data recovery software, it eliminates the risk factor associated with corruption, deletion, or tampering of valuable data.
What Should You Look For in a Backup Software?
The requirement for your Data Backup Software will vary according to your industry vertical, but here are some standard features that you might want in your system backup tool.
1. Backup Scheduling
Backup scheduling is essential in both personal and professional setup.
Taking backup is a very common task though there might be situations where you will be occupied with other important stuff. This is where the backup scheduling feature comes in very handy.
In Backup Scheduling, you need to set the frequency and time when you want to take the backups and schedule them in the software. Once done, the rest will be taken care of by the software itself.
2. Data Security
Today Cyber Criminals are more prone to attack the backup instead of the actual production site. The reason for being to do this is the lack of security offered by individuals and corporations in securing the backup data.
Therefore, You need a rapid backup tool that provides password-based protection, restricts the number of users accessing it, and delivers end-to-end encryption. Additionally, it should allow a 2-factor authentication system and whitelist to make it more robust.
3. Data Compression
If you are running a large organization, backup software frequently needs to handle humongous amounts of data. Moreover, storing a huge amount of data is complex and requires a massive amount of storage space.
Therefore, to cut down the cost and complexity you need a backup tool that will help reduce the data into smaller packages by compressing it.
4. Integration with Mobile Platforms
The ideal backup software should be able to be accessed from tablets and smartphones. Additionally, it should allow you to provide permissions, perform administrative duties, monitor backup activities, and receive mobile notifications for a smooth data backup experience.
Furthermore, it should have other desired features like allowing virtualization, execution of simultaneous backups, sending backup notifications, and so forth.
Best Backup Software – Final Summary
So, this wraps up my list of some of the best backup software. I will keep updating the list with more relevant tools available in the market. These tools can easily help you keep the heaps of data in a safe and organized manner.
However, you have to review each tool carefully to decide which one fits your requirements. Moreover, if you do not want to pay recurring monthly costs, then you can go for AOMEI Backupper that offers the backup software for a one-time fee of $60.
Which backup tools are you planning to use? Let me know in the comments section below.